Monday 5 October 2015

The interview with an exchange student.


In today’s globalized world it’s easy to travel in Russia and others countries. Both Russian and foreign students can receive education abroad. What is motivation for young people, who go to a foreign country: to a country with different habits and customs? In what way is studying abroad different from studying in our country? And what difficulties can trap exchange students? 
We have a unique opportunity to get answers to these and other questions about the life of Russian students abroad. Today we interview Alyona Logunkova, a student of the Tula State Lev Tolstoy Pedagogical University. She agreed to try an international exchange program, and she has already spent one month in Changchun University, China

Alyona Logunkova
 Alyona, have you ever been to China before this trip?

No, I have never been to China. It is my first time.


So, you've just spent a month in this country, how does it feel?

You are right; it’s just a month but I feel I’ve known China for ages in spite of unusual food, habits of people and their ways of life.

Most people think it is very dirty in China, is it true?

You asked me a very controversial question. To tell the truth, on the one hand, if I walk along residential streets or marketplaces I will find heaps of rubbish. On the other hand, popular places like parks, famous streets and corporate territories are rather clean.

Why did you decide to study in China and why did you choose Changchun University?

China isn’t Europe. When I was a child I wanted to visit countries which have quite different cultures. Now my dream has come true. As for Changchun University, it is a good opportunity for both learning Chinese and staying in East Asia. I am planning to stay here four months.

What was your first impression when you first visited The Changchun University?

It’s a pity, my first impression was terrible, but I had some reasons for it. Firstly, it was raining. Secondly, I got some troubles with arriving at university and accommodation. Later my opinion was changed.

Where do you live in China? Are Chinese hostels better than Russian?

I live in a dormitory. It is a new building that’s why my conditions of living in Changchun are better than in Tula dorm.

Is it difficult to study simultaneously at two universities? Do you cope with your homework?

Yes, it’s difficult to have double homework. Sometimes I make strenuous efforts to finish all exercises and learn all words a day. It’s strange but sometimes I have free time enough to visit famous places and work out at a gym.

What would you like to achieve in Changchun University?

I pursue not only such goals like learning Chinese, meeting interesting people, getting acquainted with the Chinese culture but also changing myself for the better.

Which differences do you see between the Russian and the Chinese education system?

Alyona and her friends
In general, these two systems are similar, but I can comment on some differences. The most distinctive feature of Chinese educational system is great diligence of students. I often observe how Chinese pupils devote their free time to studying. The next difference is the presence of cultural lessons in school schedule. It is specific Chinese calligraphy and gymnastics.

Do you agree that it is important for a future English Teacher to study the language abroad?

It can help a future teacher in professional activity but it isn’t obligatory. Actually I consider if you study hard and work hard you will be a real pro without studying abroad. As for me, the most important thing is improvement of your own skills regardless of location.

 What do you think of the people there?

In the majority of cases they are friendly and communicative. I’m very pleased to have a conversation with them. But I met lots of strange and aggressive people too. The situation is ambiguous. You never know who you will meet. I have a good relationship with several Chinese students. They usually help me to adapt quickly to unusual Chinese situations and I can proudly call them the excellent companions.

Do you have any plans to return to China in the future?

It’s better for me to think about homework now (laughing). I like staying   here and hope that I will have a possibility to return. 







No comments:

Post a Comment