Saturday 10 October 2015

Interview with a guitarist from Spain

Ángel Ontalva, Spain, plays improvisation on the guitar. He's going to travel to Russia to perform. So, I'm going to get information about his feelings and expectations about this tour.


Q: What are your plans for th[e near future?

Angel: Travel to Russia for one month next Saturday, I am nervous, I have not a lot of money and I must do some things that I really don't want to do.
Q: What are the things?

A: I will do a tour with a very weird lady and the travels are long by train and I really don't want to go with her. And I will play in SPB with her father (they hate each other) and he is a perturbed.

Q: Can you refuse to play with them?

A: No, I go for that. I'll do some other more fun things hopefully.

Q: What is it?

A: Things.

Q: Oh, well. How long does it take you to record a new album?

A: It depends.

Q: I'm about your last one.

A: My last one – it took some million years. I worked on it at different moments for a long period of time. And the mix and so was long too. I have recorded albums of free improvisation on one only session and mixed very fast the next day. We composed and recorded and released Permafrost by October, Equus for only 2 months and a half, and it's very difficult music. I work well under pressure. Depends on the music, the band, the available time... how my brain is working at that moment, different factors.

Q: I see. I listened to your last album and I must say that it is worth your efforts. Where do you get your inspiration from?

A: Sometimes all is in my brain , sometimes as the two guitars jazz ballads album I had my inspiration from something that happened to me. Usually no need for too much inspiration, music is abstract. All is in my head. Sometimes I listen to something and I think, oh, I could do something similar, and usually I do something totally different than the origin was.

Q: I think it's your gift 'cause I play the guitar too and if I have no inspiration, no one can make me play.

A: I dedicated my life to do this, I try to live from my imagination. It is something you can do with some training. The other day a fan , a Russian fan who watched me live, asked me how to work to have a better control on this and that fingers. What I did was trying to develop my ideas, and my ideas drove me to control all fingers for playing them ,and in some point I even needed the right hand on the fretboard. So all was trying to go forward with my imagination.

Q: Really amazing!

A: It's not amazing. How old are you already? 20?

Q: Yes, I am. Why are you asking me?

A: I'm playing the guitar almost double your life.

Q: Wow! So, I understand why you're so good at your work. One more important question. What' are your favorite bands? And what bands did affect your creation?

A: Do you have a lot of time to listen to it? I like too many things and many things influenced me.

Q: For example? The most worthy?

A: I'm quite old and I have many years of listening. Thousands of bands, I can't give you a short answer. At this moment I listen to the XXth century classical music than any other kind of music but I don't listen too much, as I am very busy with my own music all day.

Q: Well, thank you so much for the answers! I won't detract you from your music. Have a nice tour in Russia!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha, thanks for you interview) You are a person of art and I'm not suprised you to have chosen such a topic. Actually it is really interesting to get to know how the process of writing music is going on and it's great you found out it by yourself. Thanks for sharing your expirience with us!

    ReplyDelete