Sunday 11 October 2015

Russian student about the English language

I've decided to ask my younger sister some questions about her thoughts of studying English. She is at the 11th grade so I'd love to get know about her experience and at the same time to check her knowlidge and skills.

Polina,you've been studying English for some time. What was the reason that you started learning English?

It was my aunt who thought I should study English. She was a teacher of English language, so she could help me with my study. Also she always said that English is an international language and it will be usefull for me.

What was/is the most dificult thing for you in studying this language? Why?

It is speaking English. And my poor vocabulary. But sometimes I just haven't got any ideas,I don't know what to say. Sometimes I've got an idea in Russian but I need some time to translate it so I can't express it fast. And listening, of course. Again I need time to translate from English into Russian to understand what I was told. It's still a problem for me.

How could you improve your level? Do you know any methods?

I must practice especially in listening. Listen to native speakers, try to understand them.  I don't have big troubles with grammar but anyway I believe I should also practice it.

What do you think the most important thing in studying foreign languages is?

It is practice, of cource. And another thing is a good teacher. It is very important. I need in a"kick", without it I won't do anything. And of course I must understand grammar rules, know some usefull words and so on, and only a good teacher can give me it.

I know you weren't interested in this subject and you even didn't like it at your school. When did you change your mind and why? 

Yes, I didn't like it when I did nothing and had bad marks. I was angry so I couldn't like it. But last year I began to do something, learn, do my homework. I understood it is usefull and it's so pleasant to get good marks! [laughing]
I realised if I learn it now I'll have big possibilities in the future.

How do you think you could use your skills in real world?

First of all I'd like to go to English-speaking countries to improve my level. And if in the future my job was connected with English it would be great. I think it would be well-paid and interesting.

Thanks for your help in my task and good luck with your study!

Thank you, it was interesting to give an interview. [smiling]

1 comment:

  1. Great! I had the same problems in school and it was really interesting for me to read about other person with this expearence. Good and different questions, you helped your interviewee to give full answers and I can see her feelings and emotions. Thank you for your job!

    ReplyDelete