Sunday 11 October 2015

Russia through the eyes of a foreigner

  Krishmal, 37, comes from Sri Lanka, India. He moved to Russia to get a doctor's profession. However, after a few years of studying his decision of being a doctor has changed and he did not graduate from the university. Nowadays he works at my parents' company as an assistant and seems to be quite satisfied with his life.

  Hello, Krishmal! I am very glad to meet you! How are you today?

  Hello, Ann! I am fine, thanks.

  Please, remember your first visit to Russia. What impression did this country make on you?

  I got the first impression when I have not visited Russia yet. I have been reading a lot about Russia while living in Sri Lanka and I anxiously wanted to see the snow. When I arrived in Russia and was going from the airport to a taxi - it was freezing and I was so cold that I even felt some pain on my skin. It was something new and I could not describe my feelings at first. But later I have learned that it is called 'moroz'.

  What surprised you most?

  At the beginning I was unpleasantly shocked: people's speech was full of abusive language and there were lots of drank men lying on the benches at the bus stops. And I was amazed by their ability of peaceably sleeping in such cold weather while the rest of people were really freezing.

  Do you agree that Russians always have severe and gloomy facial expression? How it reflects on the character?

  Yes, I think that's true. In the main, Russians are gloomy and look at you with a grain of salt. But if you are lucky to be their guest you will notice quite the opposite situation: you are taken with warmth and cordiality you have never seen before. The table is overfilled with delicious dishes and you are constantly persuaded to eat much more. It's really impossible to go away hungry!

  Was it difficult for you to adapt to Russian mentality?
  
  No, it wasn't. I easily used to everything. Russian and Indian mentalities are quite different, but it was rather an interesting experience of learning Russian culture. I consider it's very useful because while learning another culture's features you begin to see yourself from a different angle.

  How can you describe Russian way of life and standart of living?

  The lifestyle of Russians depends to a great degree on their income levels. For Russia’s poor, life is a daily grind of survival and many people spend hours each day selling their belongings or other goods on the street. The lifestyles of wealthier people have become Westernized to a very high degree; American-style products are popular, especially in large cities. Watching television and serfing the Internet is a popular form of entertainment.
  Many urban Russians spend weekends at their dacha (summerhouse) in the countryside. The average dacha is only a simple shack and sits on a very small plot of land. Most dachniki (dacha owners) have kitchen gardens on their summer plots, where they grow vegetables and fruits. 

  When you realized that you wanted to stay in Russia?

  It happened when I met my second half. When I proposed to her, we decided to have our wedding in Sri Lanka. After it we have been living there for a year, but my wife suffered terribly being away of her parents. Then I realized that I loved her so much that I was ready to move to Russia for her sake.

 Such a romantic story indeed! I know you have already been living in Russia for 17 years. Do you consider yourself to become a Russian? In your opinion, is it possible to find a second motherland here? 

 I have been living in Russia for almost 20 years and my wife and my children are Russians that's why I can surely say that I consider myself to be a Russian. And I have spent here a half of my life, so many events are connected with this place and I feel that I found second motherland here.

 Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for your answers. It was really interesting to find out something new about our culture. Have a nice day! Goodbye! 
  

2 comments:

  1. I think the interview is pretty good! It's interesting and easy to read. Krishmal gave full answers for your questions, so I guess he was really interested to share his impression and life experience here with you. :)
    In my opinion, you could make more quertions about his previous life in India, it'd be also interesting for us to read. Anyway, thank you so much for this interview, you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your feedback! I didn't expect it to have such a positive one. I consider you are right concerning the questions and now I see what you mean because that was so hard to choose appropriate theme of the interview and to compose logical questions. I think if I have the opportunity to ask my interviewee about his life in India I will definetely do it :)

      Delete