Sunday 5 October 2014

well moved


Today, I'm going to show you the results of my interview with a cool girl Alina who lives in the US 

Tell me about your first month in NY. The difficulties you faced, the feelings you had, everything
So!.. everything was really difficult. I didn’t speak English at all. It that was just “my name is Alina. I love you”, something like that! And you know of course I studied the language but usually we study British English and in America they have a different accent and especially African-americans. Subway appeared to be really complicated, too

Yeah, it’s not as in Moscow where everything is clear! As I know you should know the train numbers, right?
Yes. I think that Moscow is absolutely opposite to NY - the people are friendly and the subway’s dirty! The food is heavy.. Everybody’s going to talk to you. In transport, elevators or supermarkets. I had to pretend to be rude looking at my telephone even if there was no any service and everybody knew.. everything’s to avoid these small talks which I couldn’t understand!
During the first year I changed about 10 jobs! I was working as a waitress as a babysitter as I hostess as a lifeguard and even a cleaner. We just needed money
But NY is the city where you won’t have any difficulties if you speak Russian Spanish or Chinese so many people living there don’t speak any English.

That's about the areas!So nice!What moment was the most memorable ?
The first two weeks when we were just chilling out with a lonely guy who took us to parties, exhibitions or parks! Dasha usually was like a guide she just said “let's wake up at 6 and go there and there”!
When you arrived did you have a feeling that the city suits you a lot?
When you are 21 I think everything suits (haha ) more over I was looking for a journey in my life that time. And there were some other reasons..i understood that I was the 3d year student and I won’t have an opportunity to get there soon
How did the decision to stay come? were there many examples in front of you or it came spontaneously?
I don’t really have an answer to this question.. All three years I thought about it.. I was asking Dasha and she was asking me.. we were following each other. That wasn’t easy because our parents cried a lot and of course I missed my family and friends
Yeah I understand I saw how has it affected my family. But it was hard and for you too. You needed to have someone to talk to and to rely on.

Did you communicate with the Americans the American-speaking people?
Sure! On my first job I’ve met Ilyas who was working as a hookah guy.. he tried to talk to me so I asked if he speaks Russian! His answer was a little bit but in reality a little little bit! If I hadn't met him, I wouldn’t have improved my English ever

How did the decision to marry come?
There was nothing romantic in it and now in 3 years we feel like an ordinary couple and don’t wear rings. We just went to a lawyer and realized that there’re no any ways to live legally for me without the marriage.

Has New York changed you?
Not really the city but the life on my own! When I arrived I felt like an independent woman but a year later I realized I definitely wasn’t! 

Have you decided what to do next with your life I’ve read several of your articles in a New York magazine, is it your job?
Kind of.. I really like journalism and these articles are mine but it’s not me who takes the interviews.. They use my questions, take the interviews and then I translate it into Russian sum up and put my name under.. Really like it! So I’m going to study  Russian journalism and I really dream to work in Moscow after setting up a family in the US. I also work as a waitress now of course to earn some money.

Have you ever regretted?
Never! There are always so many things to do, places to go and people to talk to!

Thank you! it was a pleasure to talk  to you!Another thank you for answering my questions and the time you spent


2 comments:

  1. The theme is very interesting for me, because i like to travel. I enjoy reading your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very useful to know about life in the USA because we are studing English and we can visit America some day.

    ReplyDelete