Saturday 10 November 2012

“Russians sometimes have their very own way of social behavior and humor”


Interview by Margarita Glinskaya

I have always been deeply interested in what foreigners think about my native country. “They drink vodka and have bears as pets”, - the most popular international joke about Russian people. Does everyone outside Russia think so or it is just a funny stereotype?
Two nice girls – Hannah and Dynalee – from absolutely different parts of the world share their opinion about inhabitants of the biggest country in the world.

- Hello, girls! What is the first word that comes to your mind when you hear “Russia”?
- Vodka. I think it’s because media has influenced us on the fact that vodka is something Russian, the way it envied the message and at times the way they perform English-Russian accent, I love it, - says Dynalee, a 19 year-old student from Malta.
- What do you know about political and economic situation in Russia?
- The political situation in Russia is very controversial and full of conflicts. I think that Putin has the situation under his control and can do whatever he wants. I saw on the news that people in Russia get arrested for the slightest form of protests (e.g. cooking soup in public as an act of protest). I think people get suppressed a lot and have to fear what they say out loud, - declares Hannah, my friend from Germany.
- And now passing over our small political discussion, tell me, girls, what do you think about Russian climate?
-  I think it is very very very cold! It could advertise itself as the ideal winter wonderland I must say! A destination for Christmas, - dreams exited Dynalee.
- Of course in the summer time, I guess the sun can be hot in Russia, - Hannah is smiling, - But the winters, as far as I know, are very cold too. Maybe it depends a lot on where exactly you are in Russia.

- Some creative work for you now. Describe a typical Russian man.
- A hard question. Maybe a craftsman, who is working hard during the day and drinking vodka in the evening, - laughing Hannah, - But this is just a stereotype, really.

- What’s your attitude to Russians?
- I have experienced the Russians. I got to know them as really nice and funny people. Though I think Russians sometimes have their very own way of social behavior and humor. I think sometimes they behave a little rough but don‘t mean bad, it‘s just how people are in Russia maybe (this opinion is also formed by the behavior of my Russian teacher at university – she is really nice but also very strict and sometimes makes me afraid), - tells Hannah.
-  I have a few Russian friends, I think they are easy to get along with and speak their own mind a lot especially amongst those who may disagree with their thoughts, - adds Dynalee.
- Thank you, girls, it was so interesting to talk to you, maybe you have some personal experience or secret stories connected with Russians that you can also share with us?
- I think it‘s funny that you have an adjective for “drinking tea and eating the sugar cubes”.
- Which one do you mean? There are so many adjectives in Russian!
- it is ‘вприкуску’!
Now I can definitely say that I am proud of my country. Russians are proved to be open, funny and easy to get along with. People – this is what Russia is all about. Our government is not the best and probably the worst one ever, but Russians will always be special and memorable. Should we thank Putin for it? 









No comments:

Post a Comment