Sunday 29 September 2013

The small detail of the Olympic mechanism
Less than six months before the Olympic Games will start! The grand sport event will be held in Sochi from 7 to 23 February 2014. In the meantime, not only the athletes and the organizing committee are preparing, but also the volunteers who play an important role in the Games. This interview will be held with one of them, Alexandra.
- Alexandra, why did you decide to become a volunteer? What do you find attractive at this job?
- I am a really active person; I love sports not only as a spectator. I have been snowboarding for a long time. I was very happy when I found out that Sochi would host the 22th Olympic Games, I wanted to participate, to contribute. Volunteer work is incredibly interesting. The greatest sportsmen of the world are at arm's length. In addition, you work in a friendly team, make new friends, charge with positive emotions and get invaluable experience in working with people.
- How difficult was it to become a volunteer of the Games in Sochi and what had to be overcome on the way to the goal?
- After I applied, a long series of interviews began. First of all, the interests, knowledge of specific rules of Olympic sports were marked, of course, second language skills were an advantage. When finally the shortlisting and training in the volunteer center in Moscow were completed, I was able to have a shot at 'Pre-Olympic week' test events. It was awesome, I did not regret my decision,  I had never experienced such emotions.
- Please tell more about what is the responsibility of the sports volunteer.
- Volunteers should give necessary information to athletes, coaches, other delegates, accompany them to the objects, and participate in the preparation of these objects for a competition, be the coordinator who knows everything that goes on in this huge 'pulsating' system. And, of course, all actions must be accompanied with a smile, cheerfulness and positive emotions.
- A volunteer does not receive wages for his work, what motivates you, what do you get from your participation in all of this?
- The mere participation in the world-class event is a great success. You are here, inside, a small detail makes working a huge mechanism. Next to you the greatest people on earth and those who will reach their heights! New friends, unforgettable emotions, valuable experience - is that not worth it?
- Thank you very much, it is very interesting and actual information.
- It's my pleasure.

By Evgenia Fedorova

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I wrote an interview on the same topic :) But it was pleasant to compare the answers of my interviewee (it was a boy) and your one (a girl's point of view). Thanks for your work!

    ReplyDelete