Sunday 29 September 2013



The melody of the soul
by Ann Aristova

Sounds of the blues, the beat of jazz, deep voices…today they seem quite forgotten, out of fashion. They were replaced by vulgar pop, rhythmic r&b and heavy rap. It is rarity to find a man, playing the saxophone the music, which had been sung by Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong. But as the saying goes, the blues is eternal. Perhaps that is why in the Tula’s Pedagogical University I met a young but very talented saxophonist Cirill Paletsky, who completely immerses in a wonderful world of music and charming sounds.
When I saw this 17-year-old guy at first, I could not even think that he is a virtuoso, but after talking I understood that he has a great future.

Hello, Cirill. I was on the concert and heard you playing live. You master this musical instrument wonderfully. How many years have you been playing the saxophone?
Thank you. Indeed, it is not so long ago. I had been playing the piano at the music school for 9 years. But I have started to play the saxophone only 3 and a half years ago.

During these three years, you have reached extraordinary heights. Why have you decided to play the saxophone, but not the violin or the piano?
You see, it turned out that I was transferred to another school, and the teacher asked, who was able to play anything. One guy answered he played two instruments: the piano and the saxophone. I thought, why I could try too. I tried – I made it.

Evidently, you had made it very well if you have been playing for more than 3 years. Have you ever had workshops with famous musicians? If yes, with whom?
Of course, yes. I played with Semyon Petrovich Milstein, "golden pipe of Russia". He noticed me when I became the winner of an international festival "The torch", where he was a chairman of the jury. After that I started playing on a lot of his concerts, and now I am continuing to attend his workshops. I also played with an American composer David Arthur Brown, who came to Tula’s "Premier" with my favorite band «Brazzaville». Unfortunately, the whole group did not arrive, but the soloist was, and I wrote a letter to Brown asking him to play, he agreed.

It is a tremendous success over 3 years. In how many competitions have you participated and how many times have you won the prize?
It is difficult to remember all. The most popular events were «The constellation», «The torch», «She who runs on the waves». In general I have taken part in more than 20 competitions, including international ones.

Tell me what workshop did you like the most?
I think it was the workshop with Igor Butman. He is a big professional in his field. I should practice a lot to play like him, because he plays divinely. He is a king of improvisation for me.

Why have you entered the Tula’s Pedagogical University but not a musical college?
I just want to go abroad in the future, but I need to be fluent in a foreign language, and preferably more than one.

It is great. Everything is thought out. And what is your dream? Do you want to continue playing the saxophone?
Of course, yes. In general, I want to find a producer abroad or to become a producer. I have a dream as a lot of musicians have to play on the big stage and gift people music.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your interview! I find blues and jazz one of the most beautiful music. And it's really pleasant to know that in our city there is so talented and bright musician.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interesting interview! I was surprised when I learned that our university has such talent! I like the sound of the saxophone and in the future I hope, I will have the opportunity to go to a concert to Cirill.

    ReplyDelete