Sunday 29 September 2013


Do you know hip-hop?

By Ulyana Motcheva


Today I was going to talk with one of the most popular choreographers and dancers in Tula and simply friendly and very sociable person Kozlov Alexander. When I entered into his dance school I was stricken by plenty of people who were taking part in the activity.

 Hello, Alexander! How are you? There are so many people here today!
 Hello, I’m fine, thanks! We have so many people every training.


 What do you think why so many people want and study to dance?
  I think the first motivation is to improve their physical abilities and to learn how they can rule and control their body, also it’s cultural development. Then one of the most important motivations is to achieve success in this sphere inspired by the results of the famous dancers. And, of course, nowadays it’s very stylish and fashionable.

 I see. There are a lot of streams, directions, courses and schools in choreography. Your direction is Hip-hop. It’s very popular today. Hip-hop is cultural school which appeared in the USA among African Americans. And what is hip- hop as a dance? How does it differ from others?
First of all, its culture. Hip-hop has its own origins, rules and rhythms. Also its movements and actions differ a lot from other schools. Then I should say about a huge number of streams in hip-hop which distinguish it, for example, krump, R&B, waacking.

As for different kinds of streams I know that hip-hop is divided into two big courses – Old School and New Style. Could you tell our readers about them?
New Style is a course which appeared in New York, that’s why New Style got its name. Also there is LA Style –dance course in Los Angeles. There are some differences between them. LA is more rhythmical, its movements and actions are fluent and smooth, and New Style is distinguished by rough and efficient movements. And Old School is a founder of hip – hop, not only dance style but culture.One of its promoters was Afrika Bambaataa.

Afrika Bambaataa? Who is it?
It’s a Dj (disc jockey) who brought Jamaican musical style  and hip-hop culture to America. Hip hop is not only style of dances and music after all. It includes a lot of different occupations: streetball, graffito, style of clothes, special slang and etc.

As to break-dance, what kind of dance is it?
It’s also a stream of hip-hop which contains plenty of acrobatic elements that’s why we can’t classify it as Old School. Break-dance is modernized a lot now, a manner of performance is changed and dancing basis is broadened.

I know all of hip- hop streams are modernized and developed. What new streams have appeared nowadays?
It’s difficult to call all of them. But, for example, I can tell you about R&B. Now it’s not only  a style of music but a huge stream of dance which is also divided into several directions. Also nowadays 3D- direction  has appeared.

And how is this direction shown in dance?
All dancers are making movements of the same type, so creating an effect of extent and relief. I can compare it with 3D films, they have the same aim.

It’s very interesting! Should people have special physical qualities, skills and preparation for hip-hop dances?
As for our dance school we accept absolutely everyone without any preparation from 6 to 60(smiling).There are no special criteria for it.

And what do you advise people who start dancing?
Well, first of all, if a person starts dancing and something goes wrong, he or she shouldn’t give up and lose heart! It’s necessary to be patient and work hard. And the main thing is to have perseverance and desire then it works out. A little effort would do it.

Thank you a lot for this perfect talk! To sum up, what is a dance for you?
Mmm…(thinking).A dance is a self-expression for me. It’s my favourite occupation and I devote my life to it. I try to develop in this sphere, take part in different workshops. It’s one of the things that brings meaning of my life.

4 comments:

  1. I'm dancing all my life, but I've never heard about Afrika Bambaataa and some details about styles of hip-hop. I read it with great pleasure and I liked your questions, some of which were unexpected. Thank you for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore dancing! Thanks for your work :) It's really informative interview and interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good interview, which again gives us to understand, that dancing is not just pastime, it's a whole life for dancers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting! Thanks to you, I learned a little about dance styles. I was particularly interested in the 3D-direction. I guess, it looks very cool!Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete